Sunday, March 14, 2010

When I'm Elected - Part I

The past week has been a week of transition for my campaign. We are still moving forward with our plans, and we’re gearing up for the last two weekends of the campaign. Making plans, working the plan! My fundraiser is scheduled for Friday, March 26. In the spirit of full disclosure, we are having it at one of my husband’s restaurants in downtown St. Louis. This will allow our friends, family, co-workers, and acquaintances to join us, from all areas of St. Louis and Illinois. The name of the restaurant is The Stable, and it’s at the corner of Cherokee and Lemp.

I was out yesterday, going door to door and posting several new yard signs. The weather, while cold, dreary, and rainy, didn’t get my attitude or spirits down. I met several new residents, and I’m positive I gained some new votes! While I was out, I received a call from a concerned resident, who is also a good friend. He was calling to let me know that there are several misleading stories going around about me and how I’m going to run the city, if I’m elected. I’m here to set the record straight. Be sure to tell your friends and neighbors about this! Call or email me if you want to hear it from me directly.

1. Office Hours: there is a story I’m only planning to work 4 – 5 hours per week. This is completely false! I’m planning to work as much time as is necessary to do this job, and doing it well for each of you, the residents of Woodson Terrace. I fully expect it will be at least 15 – 20 hours, each week, if not more. Heck, I’ve been working 15 – 20 hours a week since I filed as a candidate, just to meet you and let you know my plan for the community! You can count that I will be there when I’m needed. What I have reported is that I’m planning 4 – 5 hours of Open Office Hours. This is true. This will be blocks of time wherein residents, local business owners, and City employees can drop in and meet with me, unannounced and unscheduled. I will be in the office at that time, with no meetings planned.

I’m planning to spend time in the office and out meeting residents, dedicating as much time is needed. But if we have the right people in the right positions, with the right management and leadership, the mayor shouldn’t have to spend 4 – 8 hours a day in City Hall. I plan to spend a few hours a day in the office throughout the week as needed, then get out from behind the desk, get out of the office, and meet my constituents! This will include evenings and weekends, when most residents are readily available.

My campaign of knocking on doors won’t end, just because the election is over. I have told several residents that I don’t want them to say in a year, “yeah, I met the mayor once.” I want them to be able to say “yes, I know the mayor, I feel comfortable calling her or visiting with her, to talk about what’s going on in the city.” I want the residents to say they “know” me not just have “met” me.

I am also planning to attend all of the city’s committee meetings and other North County community organizations. If I can secure an invitation, I will attend as a representative of Woodson Terrace.

2. Layoffs: someone is telling the story that I’m going to “clean house” when I’m elected. This is most disturbing. It feels a bit like intimidation and a fear tactic towards the current City employees. I am not planning on any layoffs or “cleaning house” of City Hall. Please know this, with a surety. The citizens deserve and require experienced City employees handling the business of the City on a day-to-day basis. In these times of economic instability, and with the job situation and growing unemployment here in St. Louis, I would never do anything to take anyone out of a job that they are doing and doing well. I do plan to spend time getting to know each employee and what he or she is responsible for doing. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to lay off people. I am planning on no lay offs.

I am not out to change the course of history. I want to make a difference locally. My father taught me that service to my fellow man and community is the biggest and most immediate way to make a difference. I am wanting to correct some problems we've seen, to bring my talents and resources to the community. It is for these reasons that I have decided to offer the voters of Woodson Terrace a real choice in the upcoming election.


As always, you can call or email me with your questions or concerns. I have returned 100% of all calls and emails, and you can count on that to be the trend for years to come.


Kathy

Email: kathy.wheeling@gmail.com
Phone: 314-488-5779