Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring 2010

It's the first day of Spring, and how I love this season. Like most people, I look forward to it every year. This morning I've been thinking a lot about my mom and dad. They too, loved Spring and all its beauty. Most of their children were born during April and May, including me. My birthday is April 6, election day!

My mom died in 1992; I was 21 years old at the time, working on a Spanish-speaking church mission in central Florida. She was ill for some time, and lingered for a few years before she passed on. Then six years later, my dad passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly. So much has changed in my life since they were alive. I wonder if mom and dad were still around, what they would think about my endeavor to be mayor? My wish would be to have them here, to seek their advice, to feel their love and support. To ask what they would do, in any given situation. I reflect on our campaign activities during the past 3 1/2 months, and I have to admit, I am very proud of what I've done. There isn't one thing that I would be fearful to admit to my mom and dad. That's my litmus test for whether I've done the right or wrong thing. It always has been.

As I head out to hit the streets of Woodson Terrace this afternoon, I hold my head high, because I know my parents would be proud of me. I wish they were here to see it! They would love all the yard signs, all the planning and hubbub, all the people who wave and honk as they drive past our house on Keats Drive. My dad especially would love the waving. He was as Small Town as you can get - born and raised in town of about 200 people. "Blink and you'll miss it" he'd say we drove through. I think it's Small Town Law that you have to wave back to anyone who waves at you, at least that's how I was raised.

So, enough of that. I look forward to meeting you, hopefully before the election, so that we can talk what's on your mind and discuss my plans to bring a bigger spirit of Community and inclusiveness to our town.

Happy Spring to you and yours!


Kathy